The University of Manchester made two documentaries about the unwrapping of Mummy 1770 and the Manchester Museum mummy project at the time of the unwrapping. You can watch these below.
Mummy 1770: The Unwrapping
Please be aware that this video contains some video footage from the unwrapping of Mummy 1770.
Egyptian Mummies: An Investigation
A book on the mummy project was also released in 1979. The full text is can be downloaded as a PDF file below, with kind permission of the Manchester Museum.
The Manchester Museum Mummy Project: Multidisciplinary Research on Ancient Egyptian Mummified Remains (complete text, PDF 43MB)
PDFs by chapter
- Chapter 1: Introduction (A.R. David)
- Chapter 2: A Catalogue of Egyptian Human and Animal Mummified Remains (A.R. David)
- Chapter 3: Experimental Mummification (R. Garner)
- Chapter 4: Radiology of the Manchester Mummies (I. Isherwood, H. Jarvis & R.A. Fawcitt)
- Chapter 5: The Dental History of the Manchester Mummies (F. Filce Leek)
- Chapter 6: The Fingerprint Examination (A. Fletcher)
- Chapter 7: The Unwrapping of a Mummy (E. Tapp)
- Chapter 8: Disease in the Manchester Mummies (E. Tapp)
- Chapter 9: Electron Microscopy of the Manchester Mummies (A. Curry, C. Anfield & E. Tapp)
- Chapter 10: The Insects Associated with the Manchester Mummies (A. Curry)
- Chapter 11: The Analysis of the Wrappings of Mummy 1770 (G.G. Benson, S.R. Hemingway & F.H. Leach)
- Chapter 12: The Textiles from the Mummy 1770 (J.P. Wild)
- Chapter 13: Radiocarbon Dating (K.C. Hodge & G.W.A. Newton)
- Chapter 14: The Reconstruction of the Heads and Faces of three Ancient Egyptian Mummies (R.A.H. Neave)
- Chapter 15: Conclusion (A.R. David)
The Manchester Museum Mummy Project: Multidisciplinary Research on Ancient Egyptian Mummified Remain
The full bibliographic reference for this book is:
David, A.R. (ed) 1979. The Manchester Museum Mummy Project. Multidisciplinary Research on Ancient Egyptian Mummified Remains. Manchester University Press, Manchester.
These resources are available for use under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license (CC BY-NC-SA)